Master of Mary of Burgundy: The Virgin in a church with Mary of Burgundy at her devotions (ca. 1477)

ONE VIEW, TWO WORLDS
Between 1250 and 1700, nobility and prosperous bourgeoisie commissioned thousands of Books of Hours: prestigious prayer books for laypeople. Originally based on devotional texts chanted in religious communities at the eight canonical hours of the twenty-four-hour day, the number and variety of prayers eventually became flexible and personalized. Painted initials and illuminated borders decorated them, while full-page pictures helped to enhance individual reflection. Some of them are among the greatest art of the period.
A set of prayers all books shared were the Hours of the Virgin, dedicated to the praise of Mary, mother of Jesus. Mary of Burgundy, then the wealthiest woman in Europe, owned a precious book (ca. 1470-1477) in which a 263 x 225 mm miniature shows the fashionably dressed princess herself, sitting at a windowsill in her private chapel. She reads her prayer book, draped in green cloth to protect it from stains by direct hand contact. Her finger traces the capital O, starting a prayer of indulgence to her patron saint Mary: “Obsecro te Domina Sancta Maria” (I Beseech Thee, Holy Mary, Come and hasten to my aid and counsel, in all my prayers and requests, etc). Along the ledge, various objects of a still-life connect with Our Lady, such as rosary beads. The transparent veil, pearls and the crystal vase symbolize purity and virginity, while carnations prefigure the Passion of Jesus. The irises or ‘Sword Lilies’ in the vase represent Mary’s Seven Sorrows.
The window beyond this main pictorial setting transforms into a different, spiritual world. As if in audience to the painted prayer, the Virgin and Child are enthroned in the choir of a Gothic cathedral. Angels holding gold candlesticks mark the sacred space. In this image within an image, another noblewoman (Mary of Burgundy herself or her stepmother Margaret, who commissioned the book) pays her respect to the heavenly scene. Behind her, court ladies clasp their hands in prayer, while in the foreground a male figure (possibly Mary’s husband Maximillian of Austria) swings a censer of burning incense.
Identification of the figures in the transcendental setting is debated in the context of contemporary political circumstances. However, the total scene may be interpreted as Mary of Burgundy praying to the Virgin for the well-being of her stepmother and husband. They in turn petition Mary on her behalf. Either way, the spatial understanding of the anonymous artist known as the Master of Mary of Burgundy is impressive. Technical skill and psychological insight work together to merge physical and mystical worlds In a convincing trompe-l'oeil perspective.
(Jos Hanou)

Comments

Dinesh Dewasi said…
Hi Dear,
Thanks for sharing such a useful blog. Really! This Blog is very informative for us which contains a lot of information about the Counselling For Men. I like this post. Please visit at "Master Dealer Iberdrola",Siamo uno dei principali Master Dealer di Internet in Italia. Per ottenere i nostri servizi contattaci al numero (+39) 329 4378963!

Visit Here - https://www.allconnected.it/Thanks
Manuel Franco said…
I just want to say Thank You to everyone who supported me through the years. My name is Manuel Franco, 24, New Berlin, Wisconsin. My story of how I won the Powerball lottery of $768.4M is a bit of a tale. I have been playing Powerball tickets for 6 years now since I turned 18. I bought my first ticket on my 18 birthday. I was feeling very lucky that day because I had contacted Dr. Odunga to help me with the winning Powerball numbers. I really had that great great feeling that I looked at the camera wanting to wink at it. I only did a tiny part of it and trusted him. He gave me the numbers after I played a couple other tickets along with it for $10. I checked my ticket after the winnings came online and saw the numbers were correct including the Power play. I screamed for about 10 minutes because it felt like a dream. I had won $768.4M. This happened in April, 2021. You can check my winning testimony with the lottery officials just with my name search. Thank you Dr. Odunga. Well, his email is odungaspelltemple@gmail.com and you can also call or Whats-app him at +2348167159012 so you guys can contact him


FIX THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS TO ALL ACROSS THE
GLOBE ON:

Get your ex back spell
Lottery Spell
Money spell
Pregnancy spell
Prosperity spell
Protection spell
Get a huge loan without paying any fee spell
Long life spell
Freedom From Prison spell
Love/Reunion spell
Marriage spell
Popularity spell
Killing/Revenge spell
Healing spell


Contact HIM of any of these today at:
EMAIL: odungaspelltemple@gmail.com OR Call and WHATSAPP HIM +2348167159012
Unknown said…
Caluanie Muelear Oxidize Parteurize Thermostat Harmful Thermos is used for crushing metals and refinement of precious and semiprecious stones.in the chemical industry. If you want to make jade of poor quality into jade of high quality of the 7th vein, feel free to contact.
We also supply:
*Silver & Red Mercury
Wechat ID: sammywilbert
Text/Whatsapp: +1 646-535-7719 --
Reach us: info.a1researchersltd@gmail.com --
Web: https://a1researchers.com/product/caluanie-muelear-oxidize-parteurize/

We export our product to Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Cambodia ,Tajikistan , Ulaangom , Dhaka North , Dhaka South , Chittagong , Rajshahi ,
Khulna , Mymensingh , Sylhet & other asian countries

Buy Caluanie Muelear Oxidize Parteurize Thermostat Harmful Thermos,
Buy Caluanie Muelear Oxidize Parteurize USA MADE,
Buy Caluanie (Heavy water) USA made,
Caluanie Muelear Oxidize (Heavy water) for sale,
Caluanie Muelear Oxidize Made in the USA Available,
Buy Crude Caluanie 99% is generated from Muelear oxidize,
2-FDCK Powder, Potassium Cyanide, 3-Me-PCP Powder, AM-2233, FUB-AKB48 Powder, JWH-210 and more.

VViCKr-ID: salesmanpro --
- VVhaTsApp: +1 (407) 431-0709 -
- Online support: milestoneonline247(at)gmail -
-- wEB--> https://milestonerxchemshop.org/product/5-meo-mipt-hcl-powder/

Buy Potassium Cyanide High Quality,
potassium cyanide suppliers,
potassium cyanide price per gram,
buy potassium cyanide for jewelry,
Buy U-4700 online,
Buy bk-ebdp online ,
Suppliers of 5f-adb,
Bulk fub-amb for sale ,
Buy 4cec online,
Buy alp online,
Buy 4-emc in USA,
Buy 5F-PCN online,
Chloe Elizabeth said…
I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored. My ex husband is back after he left me and our 2kids for another woman. I was so happy to meet Dr. Osasu how he helps many people to bring their Lover back so i contact him to help me too. That was how Dr. Osasu helped me to bring my Husband back.. A big thank you to Dr. Osasu because I never thought my ex Husband will be back to me so quickly with your spell. You are the best and world greatest. If you are here and you need your Ex Let you in over back or your husband moves to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: drosasu25@gmail.com
You can also Call/WhatsApp:+2347064365391
Jones said…
I know of a group of private investigators who can help you with they are also hackers but prefer to be called private investigators They can help with your bitcoin issues and your clients will be happy doing business with you,they can also help yo with your bad credit score and you will live a better life
Contact +1(407) 777-4240
Premiumhackservices@gmail.com